Monday, September 3, 2007

ANAND BAHAL – MELODIOUS MOMENTS



Malad resident Anand Bahal takes his listeners on a nostalgic trip down memory lane with his sonorous rendition writes R Subramanian

When music buff Anand Bahal, an insurance agent by profession, trained his sights on ‘singing’ as an alternative career he never expected he would catch the fancy of the listeners in a big way. Though I was fond of singing I never dreamt I would do it on a professional level. It was a pure pastime which transfigured into a serious business,” candidly admits the Malad resident. Anand’s passion for hindi film songs dates back to his childhood days when he would listen to the golden melodies with profound interest. “ I was particularly fascinated by the songs sung by legends like K L Saigal and Mukesh ”, he divulges flashing his infectious smile. As his passion for the melodies of yesteryears grew Anand began listening to classics composed by maestros like Khemchand Prakash, Anil Biswas, Pankaj Mullick, R C Boral and Naushad and began singing the immortal creations at home and private gatherings. Slowly but steadily music lovers started appreciating his earnest effort and dedication and that further fuelled his desire to do better. “ I have no formal training in music”, he reveals and adds “ But I pay a lot of attention to the way the songs have been rendered. I make a honest attempt to reproduce them and have succeeded to an extent. But there’s still a long way to go. Each listening yields fresh insights and for me every music concert where I perform is a learning experience “. Anand, who has lent his voice in more than hundred music programmes, has had the proud privilege of performing in the presence of musical greats like Anil Biswas, Naushad, Kavi Pradeep, Qamar Jalalabadi, Majrooh Sultanpuri, Khayyam and Ravi. “ Every singer doesn’t get such an opportunity. It was a fabulous experience and I consider myself very fortunate “, says he. Anand, who has found a foothold in the stage-singing arena, essentially croons Mukesh songs. “ He is a dedicated singer who invest a lot of feelings in his rendition. His sincerity and diligence has paid off “, opines bandra resident Roshan Godrej. Last year marked the 30th death anniversary of singer Mukesh and Anand got the wonderful opportunity to showcase his vocal skills, at the tribute concert titled ‘ Melancholic Moods of Mukesh’, and he lived up to expectations. “ I am indebted to Manohar Iyer for his implicit faith in me which was the sole motivating factor. I got the opportunity to render several immortal songs of Mukeshji. To sing for four hours at a stretch in front of a mammoth audience was in itself a herculean task “. He is putting his best effort in honing his skill and is learning the ropes listening to the legendary singers, which he considers his best ‘guru’. To top it all music lover’s abundant affection and support has been the biggest morale booster for this committed artiste. He is on the right course and with his optimistic attitude Anand Bahal will surely go a long way.

No comments: